Ukadiche Modak / Naivedya Modak / Steamed Riceflour Modak
गणपती प्रसाद मोदक
Simple and easy Ganapati Prasad Modak recipe
Portion: Makes 8 to 10 modaks
- 1 Cup Rice Flour
- 3-4 teaspoons ghee
- A pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 cup water
- Saffron milk. Soak a few strands of saffron in a half tablespoon of milk. (optional)
To prepare outer covering for Ganapati Modak, Boil 1 and half cup of water add a teaspoon of ghee and pinch of salt. Add the rice flour and switch off the fire. Mix with a whisk or wooden spatula in one direction so that no lumps are formed. Cover this mixture for 10 mins. Take the mixture on a plate while it is still warm, add a little ghee and knead very well to form a soft lump free dough. Cover with a wet cloth so it does not dry up.
Preparing filling for Ganapati Modak
- 1 cup fresh desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ghee (घी)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered Jaggery (3/4th cup if you want it less sweet)
- 1/8th teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/8th teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- ½ teaspoon of sliced almonds and cashew (optional).
Heat ghee in a kadhai. Add poppy seed and let it crackle. Add nuts if you want at this stage and roast until they change color. Now slow the gas and add the dessicated coconut and very carefully roast it so there is no moisture.
Add jaggery (गुड / Gud) and let it melt. Switch off the flame once the mixture dries up. Add cardamom and nutmeg powder. Let the mixture cool.
Make 10 equal balls of rice dough. Grease your hands. Flatten the rice ball dough with your hand in round shape. Now add a spoon of filling. Make around 5 to 6 pinched around the edges and bring it together in Modak shape. You can also use a Modak Mould to shape the Modaks. Once all Modaks are ready, boil water in a steamer. Grease a plate and place all the modaks and steam for 10 mins. Drizzle ghee and saffron milk on Modaks while serving.
- First make the filling so it can cool while you prepare the outer covering.
- Take care while roasting coconut. Coconut gets burnt very fast.
- After adding Jaggery care to be taken that you don’t over roast it or else the mixture will turn hard. Quickly switch off when the jaggery dries. It is ok if it is little soggy as that will dry up as it cools.
- Nutmeg / Saffron Milk is optional.
- Making modaks is a little tricky. If you are a first timer. It is better to practice before hand on a roti dough.
- Start flattening from the middle of the rice ball to get a thinner outer covering.
- Churma Laadu recipe
- Rice Kheer Recipe
- Indian Recipe – Aate ka Halwa आटे का हलवा (Wholewheat flour Pudding)
- Amazing Indian Food, Get to know more
- Dhokla Recipe
- Indian Green chutney